The holiday season is here again. We all should thank God everyday, thank him for everything he has given us. It’s nice that we celebrate #Thanksgiving as a national holiday once a year. It’s great that we have a national day of thanks. #Christmas will be here soon and we will celebrate God’s greatest gift of all, the gift of his son. This is also the time of year when it seems like calories are hiding around every corner, donuts at work, cake or pie at the neighbor’s house, cookies at Momma’s house. We also have special foods that are mainly available this time of year, eggnog and fruit cakes come to mind. Then there are also traditional ethnic staples like, fried jelly doughnuts for Hanukkah and tamales for Christmas.
I know that portion control is the key to not putting pounds but I’m going add something else to my holiday routine this year. I’m going to step up my metabolism. So what can you do to step up your metabolism? Your body is constantly working and burning calories even when you’re not doing anything. The resting metabolic rate is much higher in people with more muscle. This is because muscle burns more calories than fat. Each pound of muscle burns about 6 calories a day, while a pound of fat burns only 2 calories. Now in a best case scenario I’ll start lifting weights 3 times a week and doing cardio 2-3 times a week. That would definitely boost my metabolism. I do lift weights but lately I’ve slacked off and I’m looking for simpler ways to step up my metabolism. Hmmm what can I do? Actually there several things I can do.
- Eat fish, high in omega-3s. Why does eating lots of fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids (salmon, herring, and tuna) help amp up metabolism? Omega-3s balance blood sugar and reduce inflammation, helping to regulate metabolism.
- Do strength training twice a week, This workout schedule is more my speed, especially during the holidays when time is at a premium. Not only does muscle weigh more than fat, but it uses more energy, too. The average man or woman in their 30s who strength-trains 30 to 40 minutes twice a week for four months will increase their resting metabolism by 100 calories a day. That means you’re resetting your body to keep running at that rate even on the days when you don’t make it to the gym, Not only does muscle weigh more than fat, but it uses more energy, too.
- Drink green tea has long been heralded for its antioxidant polyphenols. But new evidence shows the active ingredient, catechin, may crank up metabolism.
- Make sure you eat breakfast. Eating a nutrient-rich morning meal (like oatmeal with almonds and berries, or a spinach-and-feta omelet with a slice of whole-grain toast) shortly after getting out of bed literally wakes up your metabolism in the morning.
- Drink cold water, Researchers at the University of Utah found that volunteers who drank 8 to 12 eight-ounce glasses of water per day had higher metabolic rates than those who quaffed only four glasses. Your body may burn a few calories heating the cold water to your core temperature, says Madelyn Fernstrom, Ph. D., founder and director of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Weight Management Center. Though the extra calories you burn drinking a single glass doesn’t amount to much, making it a habit can add up to pounds lost with essentially zero effort.
- Eat proteins for lunch and dinner your body digests protein more slowly than fat or carbs, so you feel full longer (this is especially true when you have it for breakfast). Plus, it may also give your metabolism a bump, due to the extra energy your body uses to digest and absorb proteins.
- Last, don’t cut your calories too much. If slash your calorie intake too much, your body stops burning fat and starts conserving energy because it thinks times are lean and it doesn’t know where it,s next meal is coming from. That’s one reason among many, why starvation diets don’t work.
You now have my secret fat bustin plan for the holidays. I’m starting today and so can you. I tried to make it as painless as possible but there is no way that you can completely eliminate exercise if you want to step up your metabolism. Have fun, enjoy the holidays, enjoy this special time with your #family. God be with you till we meet again.
Copyright: tomasfoto / 123RF Stock Photo